Centre of Excellence on Alternative Dispute Resolution
The Centre of Excellence on Alternative Dispute Resolution, namely “CADR” is a functional unit under the overall aegis of Faculty of Law, MRU. The Centre is established with a purpose of conducting and promoting research and generating and disseminating knowledge in the field of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms. The CADR not only conducts training programs and workshops, but also runs simulation exercises to settle disputes through arbitration, mediation and other allied mechanisms. The training workshops are designed and curated to suit the requirements of the participants, interested in practicing ADR mechanism. The Centre of Excellence is committed to advance the objectives for which it is constituted, in the interest of the University and requirements of the legal system of the country.
To establish a research and clinical facility on various aspects of ADR that will undertake cutting edge in ADR research, skill building sessions, and provide professional services.
- Research – Undertakes institutional research, consultancy and advisory projects.
- Training – Training Programs, meticulously designed and developed by experts
- Skill Development – Promotes ADR skill development among students of Manav Rachna University in general and law students in particular through short term courses.
- Collaborations – Tie-ups and professional linkages with industry, professionals and government agencies, within and outside India.
- Information Creation – building data base relating to ADR Law & Policy and Tools & techniques.
- Exchange of Information – Effective forum for exchange of information and knowledge among various stakeholders through conferences, seminars and expert talks.
The Centre of Excellence namely “Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution” is established with following objectives–
- To pursue research and publications in the field of ADR;
- To undertake consultancy, advisory and advocacy projects;
- To train, develop and cultivate core group of ADR experts in India, capable of employing alternative resolution mechanisms, to the disputes of national and international nature;
- To provide an effective forum for exchange and analysis of ideas and information between industry, professionals, trade associations, government agencies and academia;
- To support the academic pursuits of the Faculty of Law, with research and practical training;
To explore and enter into collaborations and tie ups with national and international organizations and agencies, such as International Court of Arbitration as part of ICC, Paris, SIAC, SIMC KDLC, to name but few, in furtherance of the objectives of the Center.
The following functions may be performed by the Centre. The functions stated below are not exhaustive and are inclusive in nature.
- To conduct research in identified areas and publish papers
- To undertake institutional Research Projects
- To take up external consultancy and advisory projects
- To conduct outreach programmes for Awareness and Sensitization in the form of Workshops, seminars, Guest lectures, Roundtables, Conferences etc.
- To conduct Executive Development programs,Diploma and Certificate courses & other training sessions
- To enter into Tie ups and collaborations with domestic and international partners.
- To build functional and professional linkages with Industry, professionals, government agencies and other organizations within and outside India.
- To facilitate PG and UG students into ADR mechanisms, with the help of research and practical training through live proceedings and simulation exercises
- To create knowledge data base, focusing, inter alia, on Law and Policy, decided cases and case studies etc.
Constituted an executive committee having renowned arbitrators at international and International levels.
Prof. Jose P. Verghese
Ratan K. Singh
|Course on International Arbitration.||Sonali Mathur, Partner, AZB & Partners (Course Director)||15th June 2021 – 15th August 2021||https://www.barandbench.com/news/online-certificate-course-on-practice-of-international-arbitration|
|Chaitali Wadhwa, Faculty of Law, MRU (Course Coordinator)|
|Effective Management of Complex Construction Arbitrations||Mr. Nusrat Hassan, Mr. Anand Srivastava, Mr. Mohan Pillay and Mr. Wee Jian Ang||20th March 2021|
|Managing Ground Condition Claims||Mr. Pillay, Mr. Wee Jian Ang, Mr. Naresh Thacker and||5th December 2020|
|Mr. Alok Jain|
|Mediation and Arbitration: Friends or Foes?||Sriram Panchu, Judge Srdan Simac, Justice Moushumi Bhattacharya, Professor Lawrence Boo||1-Aug-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/mediation-and-arbitration-friends-or-foes/|
|Weathering the Storm: Energy Disputes, the Energy Transition and Impact of COVID-19||Professor Raphael Heffron of the Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law and Policy (CEPMLP) at the University of Dundee, Scotland||17-Jul-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/weathering-the-storm-energy-disputes-the-energy-transition-and-impact-of-covid-19/|
|Clinal Legal Education: International Perespective||Dr David McQuoid-Mason (Professor, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban South Africa), Dr Srikrishna Deva Rao (Vice Chancellor, National Law University Odisha), Bruce Lasky (Partner, Lanna Lawyers, Thailand), Dr MRK Prasad (Professor and Principal, VM Salgaocar College of Law, Goa), Dr Mizanur Rahman (Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh) and Dr Daniel Brantes Ferreira (Advocate, Arbitrator and Professor of Law, Brazil).||10-Jul-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/clinical-legal-education-international-perspectives/|
|Cross Border Insolvency: Should India adopt the UNCITRAL Model Law?||Judge Allan L Gropper (Former Bankruptcy Judge, Southern District Court, New York), Dr TK Viswanathan (Bankruptcy Law Reforms Committee), Kate Lannan (Senior Legal Officer, UNCITRAL), and Sumant Batra (Partner, Kesar Dass B & Associates)||6-Jun-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/cross-border-insolvency-should-india-adopt-the-uncitral-model-law/|
|Mediation as a Tool for Conflict Management||Justice Madan Lokur (Judge, Supreme Court of Fiji), Dr Judith Kneiper (Legal Officer, UNCITRAL), Nathalie Morris-Sharma (Director, International Legal Division, Ministry of Law, Singapore) and Dr Nadja Alexander (Professor of Law, Singapore Management University).||27-May-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/mediation-as-a-tool-for-conflict-management/|
|Investor State Dispute Settlement: Thesis, Anti-Thesis and Possible Synthesis||Dr Gabrielle Kauffman-Kohler (President, International Council for Commercial Arbitration), Marike Paulsson (Senior Advisor, Albright Stonebridge Group) and Promod Nair (Advocate and Arbitrator, Arista Chambers)||16-May-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/investor-state-dispute-settlement-thesis-anti-thesis-and-possible-synthesis/|
|Arbitration in India: The Good, Bad and the Ugly||Honorable Justice Ms. Indu Malhotra; Salim Moollan QC; and Gourab Banerji||2-May-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/webinar-on-arbitration-in-india/|
|Appointment of Arbitrators||Justices Sanjay K Kaul and Rajiv Shakdher||29-Apr-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/webinar-on-appointment-of-arbitrators/|
|Support for Interference in the Arbitral Process||David Joseph QC and Ciccu Mukopadhyaya||28-Apr-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/webinar-on-support-for-or-interference-in-the-arbitral-process/|
|Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards: Recent Developments||Justice Prateek Jalan and Advocate Gourab Banerji||24-Apr-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/webinar-on-enforcement-of-foreign-arbitral-awards-recent-developments/|
|Visit to the Delhi International Arbitration Centre (DIAC)||Coordinator of the Centre – Ms Kaveri Baweja DJHS, and additional coordinators – Mr Pranjal Aneja, Mr Nishant Garg and Ms Priyadarshini||19-Feb-20||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/visit-to-the-delhi-international-arbitration-centre/|
|Guest Lecture||Mr Abhinav Bhushan, South Asia Director, International Chamber of Commerce Arbitration & ADR||18-Feb-20|
|Training workshop||Advocate AVS Subramanyum||1-Oct-19||https://manavrachna.edu.in/latest/first-training-workshop-under-the-aegis-of-cadr/|
CADR Plenary Hall, Three CADR rooms, CADR library.
The Centre of Excellence in Alternative Dispute Resolution is looking to engage full/part time interns on a rolling basisto assist with the activities of the Centre at Faculty of Law, Manav Rachna University. Students of the 4th and 5th year, in a 5-year program, and students of the 2nd and 3rd year in a 3-year law program may apply for the internship.All Applicants are required to apply at-least two months prior to the proposed starting date of internship.