MANAV RACHNA UNIVERSITY
Prof. Jose Verghese (Professor Emeritus)
Qualification: B.A., B.Ph., LL.B., Ph.D. (Delhi University)
Experience: 45 years
Specialization: Alternative Dispute Resolution Mechanisms
Prof. Jose P. Verghese is Professor Emeritus with Faculty of Law, MRU. He is an acclaimed academician and accomplished arbitrator. He has been and is member of Academic Council in many institutions of national repute including NLSIU, Bangalore, NLU, Jodhpur, HNLU, Raipur (Ex-Officio), Central University, Gujarat, Sikkim Central University, AP State Law University and Jain University, Bangalore etc. He has been and is member of Governing Councils of these and other bodies including NLU, Jodhpur, HNLU, Governing Councils, Member Nominated by UGC: JSS Law College, Mysore, Ranchi College, Ranchi, St. Xavier’s College, Ranchi, and Finance Committee, Member Nominated by UGC: Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi.
Wish you all the best in your endeavors.
Faculty of Law, Manav Rachna University, Faridabad
DEPARTMENT OF LAW
Dr. Versha Vahini
Head of Department
B.A.LL.B., Ph.D. (Competition Law) from Indian Law Institute, New Delhi APH
Experience: 15 years
Areas of Interest: Corporate Law & Competition Law
About Faculty of Law
Legal education is a human science which engages with basic human philosophies, ideologies, critiques and instrumentalities. The purpose of Law is to secure basic freedom for all, maintain law and order and unlock a ‘Just’ order in the society. A career in the legal profession can be intellectually challenging, personally fulfilling and financially rewarding. Law is one of the noble and elite professions.
Studying law at Manav Rachna is one of the best decisions, a student can make. Faculty of Law, offers 5-years Integrated Honors Law Programs in three streams, which are B.A.LLB. (Hons.); B.B.A LLB (Hons.) and B.Com LLB (Hons.). Law students at MRU, are exposed to wide range of subjects. Besides strictly complying with the rules of legal education prescribed by the Bar Council of India (BCI), Faculty of Law at MRU also offers supplementary subjects like environmental studies, foreign languages and optional seminar courses. The teaching pedagogy employed at MRU stresses upon practical training and case-law discussions. Students are compulsorily made to undergo departmental seminars and moot court exercises in order to reinforce the classroom learning, giving students a real taste of what it’s like to practice law. A weekly tutorial provides students with an opportunity to resolve their subject specific doubts. Students also have the option to avail, student-exchange programs in Foreign Universities having collaborations with MRU. Students get to learn through various workshops, conferences and seminars. Manav Rachna welcomes you all, to visit the Faculty of Law with its futuristic infrastructure, moot court hall and a superlative law library that won’t leave you insatiated!
Law Courses Offered
Few of the placement possibilities after pursuing law program at MRU:
- Litigation/ Court Room Practice before District Courts, High Courts or Supreme Court
- Law Firm Practice
- Solicitors Practice
- Eligible to practice before various Commissions, Boards, tribunals and other quasi-judicial authorities such as CCI or CIC or Consumer Forums or SEBI or Company Law Boards/ Company Law Tribunals etc.
- Judicial Services/ Civil Services
- Judicial Clerkships
- Corporate and Commercial Lawyering
- Arbitrators/ Mediators and Conciliators
- Judge Advocate General (JAG) in Defense Services
- Legal Officers in Companies
- Standing Counsel/ Public Prosecutors
- International Law and Diplomacy
- Patent Attorneys/ IPR Lawyering
- Academics and Research
- Legal editors and Correspondents
- Pro-Bono Practitioners/ Human Rights Activists
- Other endless career opportunities
Board of Advisors
Faculty of Law has an Advisory Board which boasts of Former Chief Justice of India, High Court Judges, ASG, Former Law Secretary to Ministry of Law and Justice, Senior Advocates, IAS officers and other legal luminaries as its eminent members.
- Hon’ble Mr. Justice R.C. Lahoti (Former CJI) Chairman
- Hon’ble Mr. Justice Amitava Roy, Former Judge, Supreme Court of India
- Hon’ble Mr. Justice K.K. Lahoti (Former Acting Chief Justice, Hon’ble High Court of Madhya Pradesh) Member
- Hon’ble Mr. Justice Kailash Gambhir (Former Judge, Hon’ble High Court of Delhi) Member
- Hon’ble Mr. Justice Rajiv Bhalla (Former Judge, Hon’ble High Court of Punjab and Haryana) Member
- Mr. Atmaram Nadkarni (ASG, Government of India) Member
- Mr. P. K. Malhotra, Former Law Secy., GOI
- Mr. Jasbir Singh Bajaj (IAS) Member
- Mr. R. K. Bajaj, Former Chief Commissioner – CIT Member
- Mr. Arvind P. Datar, (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. ParagTripathi (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Gourab Banerji (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Ravindra Srivastav (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Gopal Jain (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Sanjeev Sharma (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Vinay Bhasin (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Ashok Gupta (Senior Counsel) Member
- Mr. Sudhir Sharma (Partner, Luthra&Luthra) Member
- Mr. Anup Trehan (Partner, Access Law) Member
- Mr. Shashank Garg (Partner, Advani& Co.) Convener
Faculty of Law also has Board of Studies and Board of Faculties to advise, supervise and finally vet the program structure, course content, scheme of evaluation etc. for all the Law Programs. Law professors from Delhi University, Indian Law Institute, Guru Gobind Singh I.P University Delhi, National Law Universities and Foreign Universities are the members of these Boards.
LIBRARY – SHRI RATAN LAL LAHOTI MEMORIAL LAW LIBRARY
The Law Library has been adopted by the former Chief Justice of India Hon’ble Shri R.C. Lahoti. The library is named after his father’s name as Shri Ratan Lal Lahoti Memorial Law Library, which contains a rich collection of Law books, Journals, SCC Manual, AIR Reports, All England Reports inter alia other journals and authoritative texts. Hon’ble Justice R.C. Lahoti has also contributed books from his personal collection signifying his passion for Law and Literature. In the Digital Library, database of National & International journals and cases, including SCC Online can be accessed.
CONFERENCES, SEMINAR AND INVITED TALKS
To give a comprehensive world view of the legal profession and particular subjects, it is imperative to hold conferences, seminars, workshops and invited lectures. Celebrated professors and accomplished professionals are invited to deliberate upon issues of contemporary importance and interact with the students, which helps them develop critical perspectives and “out of books” thinking.
Justice Deepak Misra launching a Campaign
“YOU ARE NOT ALONE” for Senior Citizens.
Hon’ble Mr. Justice Jasti Chelameswar delivering inaugural speech at “2nd Experts Workshop on Criminal Prosecution”
Law is all about Language. Faculty of Law, Manav Rachna University, has a dedicated Language lab for the students of law, wherein students take practical lessons on communication/ spoken language not only in English but also foreign languages, which are essential part of the course curriculum of the Law Programs.
To facilitate the students to develop core competencies through practical learning.
The students would be equipped:
To harness legal concepts to solve real life problems.
To understand and analyze various legal problems through
application of Law.
To make use of analytical reasoning & critical thinking.
To employ his interpersonal and public communication skills in
his professional life.
To pursue higher studies.
For FAQs: Click Here
To View Faculty Members: Click Here
PARTNERS IN e-AWARENESS
Faculty of Law is honored to be associated with the e-Courts project under the aegis of the Computer Committee of the Hon’ble High Court of Punjab and Haryana at Chandigarh. Our endeavor is to create easy access to Information and Justice for everyone from the comfort of your home, office or smartphone! All the information and orders you need is just a click away! Watch out this space for more updates on e-Courts project.
More Information Click here