MANAV RACHNA UNIVERSITY
About Faculty of Law
Legal education is a human science which engages with basic human philosophies, ideologies, critiques and instrumentalities. The purpose of Law is to secure basic freedom for all, maintain law and order and unlock a ‘Just’ order in the society. A career in the legal profession can be intellectually challenging, personally fulfilling and financially rewarding. Law is one of the noble and elite professions.
Studying law at Manav Rachna is one of the best decisions, a student can make. Faculty of Law, offers 5-years Integrated Honors Law Programs in three streams, which are B.A.LL.B. (Hons.), BBA LL.B. (Hons.) , B.Com LL.B. (Hons.) and LL.M. (1 Year/Part-Time) . Law students at MRU, are exposed to wide range of courses. Besides strictly complying with the rules of legal education prescribed by the Bar Council of India (BCI), Faculty of Law at MRU also offers supplementary subjects like environmental studies, foreign languages and optional seminar courses. The teaching pedagogy employed at MRU stresses upon practical training and case-law discussions. Students are compulsorily made to undergo departmental seminars and moot court exercises in order to reinforce the classroom learning, giving students a real taste of what it’s like to practice law. A weekly tutorial provides students with an opportunity to solve their subject specific doubts. Students also have the option to avail, student-exchange programs in Foreign Universities having collaborations with MRU. Students get to learn through various workshops, conferences and seminars. Manav Rachna welcomes you all, to visit the Faculty of Law with its futuristic infrastructure, moot court hall and a superlative law library that won’t leave you insatiated!
Law Courses Offered
Few of the placement possibilities after pursuing law program at MRU:
- Litigation/ Court Room Practice before District Courts, High Courts or Supreme Court
- Law Firm Practice
- Solicitors Practice
- Eligible to practice before various Commissions, Boards, tribunals and other quasi-judicial authorities such as CCI or CIC or Consumer Forums or SEBI or Company Law Boards/ Company Law Tribunals etc.
- Judicial Services/ Civil Services
- Judicial Clerkships
- Corporate and Commercial Lawyering
- Arbitrators/ Mediators and Conciliators
- Judge Advocate General (JAG) in Defense Services
- Legal Officers in Companies
- Standing Counsel/ Public Prosecutors
- International Law and Diplomacy
- Patent Attorneys/ IPR Lawyering
- Academics and Research
- Legal editors and Correspondents
- Pro-Bono Practitioners/ Human Rights Activists
- Other endless career opportunities
Board of Advisors
Faculty of Law has an Advisory Board which boasts of Former Chief Justice of India, Former Supreme and High Court Judges, ASG, Former Law Secretary to Ministry of Law and Justice, Senior Advocates, IAS officers and other legal luminaries as its eminent members.
COMPOSITION OF ADVISORY BOARD
Our advisory board provides non-binding premeditated guidance to the organization. Manav Rachna relies heavily on them for strategic direction and supervision. Click here to read more about them
- Hon’ble Mr. Justice R.V. Eshwar for Tax Law
- Mr. P. K. Malhotra (Former Law Secretary, GOI) for Administrative Law
- Mr. Arvind P. Datar (Senior Advocate) for Tax law and Constitutional Law
- Mr. Parag Tripathi (Senior Advocate) for Constitutional law
- Mr. Gaurav Pachnanda (Senior Advocate) for Commercial Litigation and Arbitration
- Mr. Vikas Pawha (Senior Advocate) for Criminal Law
- Mr. Chander Lall (Senior Advocate) for IPR
Faculty of Law also has Board of Studies and Board of Faculty to advise, supervise and vet the program structure, course content, scheme of evaluation etc. for all the Law Programs. Law professors from Delhi University, Indian Law Institute, Guru Gobind Singh I.P University Delhi, National Law Universities and Foreign Universities are the members of these Boards.
LIBRARY – SHRI RATAN LAL LAHOTI MEMORIAL LAW LIBRARY
The Law Library has been adopted by the former Chief Justice of India Hon’ble Shri R.C. Lahoti. The library is named after his father as Shri Ratan Lal Lahoti Memorial Law Library, which contains a rich collection of Law books, Journals, SCC Manual, AIR Reports, All England Reports inter alia other journals and authoritative texts. Hon’ble Justice R.C. Lahoti has also contributed books from his personal collection, signifying his passion for Law and Literature. In the Digital Library, database of National & International journals and cases, including SCC Online can be accessed.
Law student of the year Medal – Ratan Lal Lahoti Memorial Gold Medal shall be awarded to a Law Student of the year, for his/her overall academic performance and excellence in during the 5 years at Law Faculty
CONFERENCES, SEMINAR AND INVITED TALKS
To give a comprehensive world view of the legal profession and specific issues, it is imperative to hold conferences, debates, seminars, workshops and invited lectures. Judges, accomplished professionals and acclaimed professors are invited to deliberate upon issues of contemporary importance and interact with the students, which helps them, develop critical perspectives and “out of books” thinking.
ACTIVITIES AT FACULTY OF LAW
Faculty of Law conducts copious co-curricular and extra-curricular events including workshops, street plays, Legal Aid Camps, Moot Court competitions, elocution contest, debate and seminar, law week, ADR BOOT camp sports & cultural events like Jus Fiesta and fresher’s day inter alia many other events. Students are taken to visit Parliament, Supreme Court, High Courts and other courts. Visit to legal institutions help students appreciate “law in formulation” and “law in action.”
Law is all about Language. Faculty of Law, Manav Rachna University, has a dedicated Language lab for the students of law, wherein students take practical lessons on communication/ spoken language not only in English but also foreign languages, which are essential part of the course curriculum of the Law Programs.
To facilitate the students to develop core competencies through practical learning.
The students would be equipped:
- To harness legal concepts to solve real life problems.
- To understand and analyze various legal problems through application of Law.
- To make use of analytical reasoning & critical thinking.
- To employ his interpersonal and public communication skills in his professional life.
- To pursue higher studies.
PARTNERS IN e-AWARENESS
Faculty of Law is honored to be associated with the e-Courts project under the aegis of the Computer Committee of the Hon’ble High Court of Punjab and Haryana at Chandigarh. Our endeavor is to create easy access to Information and Justice for everyone from the comfort of your home, office or smartphone! All the information and orders you need is just a click away! Watch out this space for more updates on e-Courts project.
More Information Click here