MANAV RACHNA UNIVERSITY
Department of Mathematics
About the Department
Mathematics is an integral part of Engineering & Applied Sciences. We kindle the students to develop strong fundamentals of the subject and the skills required for solving scientific, technical, analytical and mathematical problems. The same is achieved through our well-defined teaching and learning process that includes problem solving sessions, open discussions during tutorials, seminars, workshop, projects etc. The department also equips the student with latest techniques for solving the problems manually as well as with the help of mathematical software.
At MRU, the department of Mathematics believes in ‘Learning by Practicing’ strategy. The department equips the students with mathematical tools and their applications in diverse fields. Every course in mathematics has a lab component which strengthens the foundation of the course for students.
The Department of Mathematics draws its faculty from the premier institutions of the country. The faculty is highly experienced and specialized in areas of Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, Applied Mathematics and Statistics.
The department offers an extensive B.Sc. (Hons.), M.Sc. Mathematics & Ph.D. program.
In addition to this, the department offers a wide range of core & open elective courses to the B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics, B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, B.Sc. B.Ed. and B.Tech. programs.
The department focuses on the overall development of the students. Apart from laying the strong foundation of the varied courses, various personality attributes are also groomed by exposing the students to:
- planning & organizing various events at University level,
- participation in conferences, workshops and extra-curricular events,
- imbibing new ideas through educational visits and
- improvising behavior through motivational lectures
Thrust Areas of the Department:
- CBCS (Choice Based Credit System)
- A wide range of core and open elective courses as per Industry requirements
- Each Mathematics course is supplemented with a lab component
- Soft courses – Environmental Science, Quantitative Aptitude, Management, Ethics & Values, Communicative English
- Use of new mathematical tools such as MATLAB, SPSS, MAPLE, LaTeX, SciLAB, Mathematica etc.
- Amalgamation of Computer Science and Mathematics for Projects
- Research at Under-graduate and Post-Graduate levels
- MOOC Courses
- Foreign Language Courses
- Summer training
- Invited Lectures, Projects & Seminars
- Quantitative aptitude sessions for competitive exams.
- Imbibing new ideas through educational visits.
To create an integrated teaching, research and outreach unit to enhance the visibility and impact of mathematics at the National & International forum.
- To provide a niche where students can learn, apply and become proficient in mathematical concepts and their applications.
- To nurture the acumen as a mathematical researcher and a lifelong learner.
- To produce human resources that excels in their chosen profession and function as responsible productive citizens.
B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics MRU
To equip students with broad and deep mathematical knowledge with an aim towards developing logical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills to build their understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications.
PO1 Disciplinary knowledge:Capability of demonstrating comprehensive knowledge of mathematics and understanding ofone or more disciplines which form a part of an undergraduate programme of study.
PO2 Communications skills:
- Ability to communicate various concepts of mathematics effectively using examples and their geometrical visualizations.
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively.
PO3 Critical thinking and analytical reasoning:Ability to employ critical thinking in understanding the concepts, to analyse the results and apply them in various problems appearing in different branches of mathematics.
PO4 Problem solving:Capability to solve problems in mathematics and its applications arising in different fields of science & engineering, related to the curriculum.
PO5 Research-related skills:Capability for inquiring about appropriate questions relating to the concepts in various fields of mathematics and to know about the advances in various branches of mathematics.
PO6 Information/digital literacy:Capability to use appropriate software’s to perform mathematical investigations and problem solving.
PO7 Self-directed learning:Ability to work independently and do in-depth study of various notions of mathematics.
PO8 Moral and ethical awareness/reasoning:Ability to identify unethical behaviour such as fabrication, falsification or misrepresentation of data and adopting objective, unbiased and truthful actions in all aspects.
PO9 Lifelong learning:Ability to think, acquire knowledge and skills through logical reasoning and to inculcate the habit of self-learning.
PO 10Professional skills: Ability to work as team with professional ethical practices.
PO 11Applicational skills: Ability to apply one’s disciplinary knowledge and skills in mathematics in newer domains and uncharted areas.
PO12 Experimental learning: Ability to identify challenging problems in mathematics and obtain well-defined solutions.
M.Sc. Mathematics – MRU
- To provide students with a strong foundation of core and advanced mathematical courses in order to produce students with a strong mathematical acumen.
- To promote development of research quotient in students to conduct good research independently or within a team.
- To provide students with advanced mathematical and computational skills.
PO1: Knowledge &Abstract thinking: Ability to absorb and understand the abstract concepts that lead to various advanced theories in mathematical sciences and their applications in real life problems.
PO2: Modelling and solving: Ability in modelling and solving problems by identifying and employing the appropriate existing theories and methods.
PO3: Advanced theories and methods: Understand advanced theories and methods to design solutions for complex mathematical problems and results.
PO4: Applications in Engineering and Sciences: Understand the role of mathematical sciences and apply the same to solve the real-life problems in various fields of study.
PO5: Modern software tool usage: Acquire the skills in handling scientific tools towards problem solving and solution analysis.
PO6: Ethics: Imbibe ethical, moral and social values in personal and social life. Continue to enhance the knowledge and skills in mathematical sciences for constructive activities and demonstrate highest standards of professional ethics.
PO7: Individual and teamwork: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
PO8: Communication: Develop various communication skills such as reading, listening, and speaking which will help in expressing ideas and views clearly and effectively.
PO9: Research: Demonstrate knowledge, understand mathematical & scientific theories and apply these to one’s own work, as a member/ leader in a team to manage projects and multidisciplinary research environments. Also use the research-based knowledge to analyse and solve advanced problems in mathematical sciences.
PO10: Life-long learning: Recognize the need for and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PO 11: Professional Growth: Keep on discovering new avenues in the chosen field and exploring areas that remain conducive for research and development
Mathematicians have vast opportunities in academia & industry. Student can go for teaching, Research, Higher Studies through CSIR-NET, GATE and CAT, Actuarial Sciences, MBA, Investment Manager,Research Labs, Numerical Analyst, Operations Research Analyst and Systems Analyst,Teacher, Market Researcher, Banking Sector, UPSC, Civil Services, Government Service, Space/Aircraft Industry etc.