MANAV RACHNA UNIVERSITY
Department of Mathematics
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Mathematics is an integral part of Engineering & Applied Sciences. We kindle the students to develop strong fundamentals of the subject and the skills required for solving scientific, technical, analytical and mathematical problems. The same is achieved through our well-defined teaching and learning process that includes problem solving sessions, open discussions during tutorials, seminars, workshop, projects etc. The department also equips the student with latest techniques for solving the problems manually as well as with the help of mathematical software.
At MRU, the department of Mathematics believes in ‘Learning by Practicing’ strategy. The department equips the students with mathematical tools and their applications in diverse fields. Every course in mathematics has a lab component which strengthens the foundation of the course for students.
The Department of Mathematics draws its faculty from the premier institutions of the country. The faculty is highly experienced and specialized in areas of Algebra, Analysis, Geometry, Applied Mathematics and Statistics.
The department offers an extensive B.Sc. (Hons.), M.Sc. Mathematics & Ph.D. program.
In addition to this, the department offers a wide range of core & open elective courses to the B.Sc. (Hons.) Physics, B.Sc. (Hons.) Chemistry, B.Sc. B.Ed. and B.Tech. programs.
The department focuses on the overall development of the students. Apart from laying the strong foundation of the varied courses, various personality attributes are also groomed by exposing the students to:
- planning & organizing various events at University level,
- participation in conferences, workshops and extra-curricular events,
- imbibing new ideas through educational visits and
- improvising behavior through motivational lectures
THRUST AREAS OF THE DEPARTMENT:
- CBCS (Choice Based Credit System)
- A wide range of core and open elective courses as per Industry requirements
- Each Mathematics course is supplemented with a lab component
- Soft courses – Environmental Science, Quantitative Aptitude, Management, Ethics & Values, Communicative English
- Use of new mathematical tools such as MATLAB, SPSS, MAPLE, LaTeX, SciLAB, Mathematica etc.
- Amalgamation of Computer Science and Mathematics for Projects
- Research at Under-graduate and Post-Graduate levels
- MOOC Courses
- Foreign Language Courses
- Summer training
- Invited Lectures, Projects & Seminars
- Quantitative aptitude sessions for competitive exams.
- Imbibing new ideas through educational visits.
To equip students with broad and deep mathematical knowledge with an aim towards developing logical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills to build their understanding of mathematical concepts and their applications.
SECTION WEIGHTAGE PARAMETERS
- Preparation:To prepare graduates with strong fundamentals required for higher learning, teaching or other jobs.
- Core Competence: Ability to approach problems in an analytical and rigorous way and apply appropriate mathematical skills in solving them.
- Breadth:To utilize the wide range of mathematical concepts along with pure, applied, mathematical statistics and numerical techniques equipped with mathematical computer software
- Professionalism:To work as team with professional ethical practices
- Learning Environment: To develop confidence for lifelong self-learning.
Mathematicians have vast opportunities in academia & industry. Student can go for teaching, Research, Higher Studies through CSIR-NET, GATE and CAT, Actuarial Sciences, MBA, Investment Manager,Research Labs, Numerical Analyst, Operations Research Analyst and Systems Analyst,Teacher, Market Researcher, Banking Sector, UPSC, Civil Services, Government Service, Space/Aircraft Industry etc.