The Future Auto Expertise: Electric Vehicle Design
The electric vehicle (EV) ecosystem in India is at its initial stages of development. The Indian Government is very clear in its directive to auto manufactures to shift from conventional IC engines to Electric Motor-driven vehicles. Keeping the same objective in mind, the central government has announced the second phase of its ambitious FAME (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of (Hybrid) and Electric Vehicles) policy and aims to step up EV adoption in the country across segments. This move, in itself, has opened up varied opportunities in the nation in the realm of electric vehicle manufacturing and design.
Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design Future
Presently about 40% of EV cost is of the batteries which act as an energy storage hub and will replace conventional fuels in near future. Knowledge of their electrochemistry and energy storage capabilities, i.e., energy density, power density, SOC, etc., are the domain areas where experts will be required in the future both for operational and research purposes. An embedded microcontroller design for batteries is another highly specialized area where experts will be required for new indigenous product development.
Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design Courses
To gain specialization in the field of Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design, two approaches are available for all the students:
- The best approach is to pursue a B. Tech degree in Mechanical Engineering with a specialized focus on Electric Vehicle and Manufacturing.
- Another option is to pursue a B. Tech degree in Automobile Engineering wherein Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design is a component of the course.
- Whereas, a newer and contemporary course that one can pursue is Post Graduate Certificate in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Design
Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design Skills
To excel in the field of Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design, one is presupposed to have certain skills in order to excel in the field. Some of these skills are:
- Technical Skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Interpersonal abilities
- Good verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a team
- Commercial awareness
Electric Vehicle Manufacturing and Design Jobs
Considering that this is a transformational and evolving realm in India, some of the leading job roles in the field are:
- Battery Management System Engineer
- Battery Algorithm Engineer
- Battery Safet Engineer
- Associate Engineer: Battery Modelling
- Power Train Engineer
- Telematics or Data Analytics Engineer
- Engineer Electric Vehicles
- Motor Design and Optimization
- Simulation Engineer
- Embedded Engineer: Electrical Vehicle
- Embedded Design Engineer
- Embedded Hardware Engineer
- Navigation Guidance and Control Systems Engineer
- Power Train Control Executive
- System Engineer: Testing
Electric Vehicle Design Organizations
Some of the leading EV manufactures who are looking for industry professionals and are conducting timely hiring are Hero Electric, Tata Motors, Ather Energy, Mahindra Electric, Lohia Auto, TwentyTwo Motors, BYD Olectra, Hyundai Kona electric, Ashok Leyland, MG Motor, among many more.
Looking at this huge potential demand of professionals having expertise in this futuristic technology, Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies has included honors in Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Electric Vehicles as a part of its regular program. The courses include topics such as energy storage and battery management system (BMS), design architecture and control of the electric vehicle, electric vehicle charging and infrastructure, battery swapping stations, and electric power trains. Electric vehicle simulation lab, electric vehicle testing and validation lab, and two-wheeler technology lab developed in associations with HONDA are advanced labs where practical exposure is provided. The expert and certified faculty provide a gateway to students in this intriguing career path.
Written By:- Dr. Devendra Vashist Prof. & Head (Automobile Engineering) FET, MRIIRS