‘Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought’ Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
Research is the most important and significant part of acquiring knowledge. Academics just cannot stand and meet the aspirations of today’s society without research. Historically too, research has been linked with human endeavor for the better understanding of the environment. This has led the development and growth through different stages of history in every field. Research is an essential tool to gather facts, opinion and information pertaining to a specified problem, situation or opportunity.
Research in media focuses on the communication process and examines the relationships among the media organizations and the target audience. Media research focus is on the social and psychological aspects and effects of the different mass media. Its objective is to get information pertaining to different mass media like the amount of time people spend on a particular medium, the effects of various medium on the society, the content and presentation of information or the effectiveness of the programmes to the audience etc. Therefore, mass media have come to depend on research results for all the major decision they make. The increased demand for information has created a need for research and researchers in all the sectors both private and public.
Significance of the Subject
- Media Research discovers the trends and bring out useful information in the field of mass media and communication
- Media research helps in making decisions with respect to the composition and analysis of news, views and information
- Research brings objectivity and accuracy in news reporting. A good story is always the outcome of research and investigation.
- Media Research is also used in conducting surveys, public opinion polls, advertising and public relation campaigns.
- Content Design Strategist
- Audience Research Psychologist
- Media Strategist
- Media Analyst
- E-marketing Entrepreneur Statistician
- Media -Social Scientist
Writte By:- Dr. Suman Kumari, Associate Professor, FMeH, MRIIRS