A one day Workshop on GREEN CHEMISTRY was organized by ECO CLUB, of Chemistry MRU and GREEN CHEMISTRY NETWORK CENTRE-MR Chapter at Manav Rachna University on 30th November, 2016. The workshop was attended by students of M.Sc. (Chemistry) and B.Sc. (Hons) and faculty members of Chemistry and Educational Department of MRU.
The resource person for the workshop was Dr. INDU TUCKER SIDHWANI, Associate Professor, Gargi College, University of Delhi. She have over 43 years of teaching and research experience and is propagating Green Chemistry at School and College Level. She has conducted several workshops for colleges of Delhi University and Public Schools of Delhi and NCR. She has been conferred with Meritorious Teacher Award for Higher Education in 2013 and Teaching Excellence Award for Innovation in 2015. The workshop stared with a lecture in which Dr. Indu explained the importance of Green Chemistry for Chemical Industries. She narrated many case studies of chemical disasters such as Bhopal Gas Tragedy and Cuyahoga River, Ohio etc. which could have been overcome by using the Green Routes. She discussed the 12 Principles of Green Chemistry and their salient features as well. She talked about Real World Cases for Safer Dry Cleaning, Replacement of Lead in Paints, Environmentally advanced wood preservatives and Right-Fit Pigments.
In the afternoon session, she demonstrated several experiments of Green Chemistry such as
1. Micro tests for anions and cations in qualitative analysis without using sulfur compounds especially Hydrogen Sulfide
2. One pot synthesis of azo-methines
3. One pot solvent less synthesis of Ni- Dimethyl Glyoxime Complex
4. Microwave Assisted Synthesis of Copper Phthalocyanine
5. Extraction of D-Limonene from Orange Peel by Liquid CO2
6. She also explained Preparation of Gold Nano-particles using Tea Leaves and Bio-Diesel from Waste Cooking Oil