Department of Earth Sciences and Environment
Dr. Arunangshu Mukherjhee
Professor & HoD Earth Sciences and Environment
Qualification: MSc (Geology), PhD (Sedimentary Geochemistry)
Geology, integrated earth system science, provides understanding of solid earth, concerning a more sustainable exploitation of Earth resources and rising of awareness of geo-hazards. It provides wisdom about the raw materials needed for economic development of a nation and helps to generate a sense of reverence for Earth. Geological information can play a key role in addressing challenges of sustainable development such as land degradation and groundwater protection, earth resources and contribute to improved decision-making processes.
The National Capital Region is having reach repository of rocks and minerals and evidence Proterozoic to Recent age geological phenomenon which provides a location benefit for study and understanding process closely to built a professional who can take up geological challenges and solve it amicably. With this background ,the Department of Earth Sciences and Environment is being launched with its first programme in Applied Geology.
The Department is committed to produce future geologists and geo-scientists having academic excellence. It is in process of developing facilities and laboratories. The curriculum includes contents which will enable to not only equip with latest know how but will also support to clear various competitive examinations, so as to enter into satisfying career. It will also include recent developments and practices adopted country wide by the industry, in the fields of petroleum exploration, geo-technical, energy and mineral exploration.
Department of Earth Science and Environment Courses
On the onset, the Department is making efforts to have laboratories well equipped with several instruments like petrographic and paleontological microscopes along with samples and thin sections of all major rock types, minerals, and fossils.These will be procured from geologically important locations of India and abroad. The collection of samples and infrastructure related to equipments is underway with the support of university funds.
- Students are prepared for successful careers in professional Geology that covers all metalic and non mettalic minerals, the needs of Indian recruiting organizations and multinational companies.
- Students are provided with sound foundation in basic and applied geology and enable them to appreciate this learning in their chosen field and fulfill their professional and career aspirations.
- Students are assisted and provided opportunity to exhibit strong and independent learning, analytical & problem solving skills, with special emphasis on effective communication and team work
- Field training is the part of curricula and special lectures by experts from leading geological organizations like GSI, CGWB, ONGC and mine visits are a regular feature of the program.
- Students are prepared for life-long learning, research & innovation, to excel in field based geological studies and have successful career in Indian organizations and MNCs, and to become Entrepreneurs.