MANAV RACHNA DENTAL COLLEGE
NAAC ‘A’ GRADE ACCREDITED
Curriculum Objectives – Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopadedics
The training programme in Orthodontics is to structure and achieve the following four objectives.
- The dynamic interaction of biologic processes and mechanical forces acting on the stomatognathic system during orthodontic treatment.
- The etiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment planning of various common Orthodontic problems.
- Various treatment modalities in Orthodontics- preventive, interceptive and corrective.
- Basic sciences relevant to the practice of Orthodontics.
- Interaction of social cultural economic, genetic and environmental factors and their relevance to management of Oral- facial deformities.
- Factors affecting the long range stability of orthodontic correction and their management.
- Personal hygiene and infection control, prevention of cross infection and safe disposal of hospital waste, keeping in view the high prevalence of Hepatitis and HIV and other highly contagious diseases.
- To obtain proper clinical history, methodical examination of the patient, perform essential diagnostic procedures, and interpret them and arrive at a reasonable diagnosis about the dentofacial deformities.
- To be competent to fabricate and manage the most appropriate appliance intra or extra oral, removable or fixed mechanical or functional and active or passive for the treatment of any orthodontic problem to be treated singly or as a part of multidisciplinary treatment of oro-facial deformities.
- Develop an attitude to adopt ethical principles in all aspect of orthodontic practice.
- Professional history and integrity are to be fostered.
- Treatment care is to be delivered irrespective of the social status, cast, or religion of the patients.
- Willingness to share the knowledge and clinical experience with professional colleagues.
- Willingness to adopt, after a critical assessment, new methods and techniques of orthodontic management developed form time to time based on scientific research, which are in the best interest of the patient.
- Respect patient’s rights and privileges, including right to information and right to seek a second opinion.
- Develop attitude to seek opinion from allied medical dental specialists as and when required.
- Develop adequate communication skill particularly with the patients given them the various options available to manage a particular dentofacial problem and to obtain a true informed consent from them for the most appropriate treatment available at that point of time.
- Develop the ability to communicate with professional colleagues, in orthodontics or other specialties through various media like correspondence, Internet, E-video conference etc. to render the best possible treatment.