One of the most debatable issues among law school aspirants seems to be the question of which is the best law School? Every student wants to get into the best law school for a bright future. But selecting a right law school involves a lot of research and introspection. There are a number of factors that should be considered before choosing a law school.
Here are some key factors to guide the law aspirant to choose the right school:
- Curriculum: The range and quality of academic programs is one of the most important factors to be considered when choosing a law school. The Course Curriculum Structure should be checked to see whether they are at par with the current education standard. Besides this it should also be insured that the curriculum strictly comply with the rules of legal education prescribed by the Bar Council of India (BCI).
- Specialization: Traditionally, law school aspirants had to focus on two things: Getting into law school and staying competitive in arduous classes. It wasn’t until after graduating and searching for jobs that most students selected a specialization within the legal field. Today, however, things have changed. Law students should consider their specialization options to be best prepared for their future careers. A law school offering variety of specialization and having a multi-disciplinary curriculum is better than those offering traditional courses only.
- Library: A well-stacked Library comprises latest edition of reference books, law journals, law reports, etc. is one of the main requirements of a law school. Online database should also be there in the library. Access to technology should not only be in the library but through the campus of the law school.
- Clinical Programme: Clinical legal education is an important aspect of present day legal education. Make sure that the law school has Pro bono societies like legal aid cell, moot court society, mock parliament and research centre in specified areas of law.
- Location: One of the most important things to consider when asking how to choose the right law school is where the school is located geographically. If you are going to a top 10 Law schools, national brand recognition will often outweigh the importance of location. Otherwise, location is absolutely essential. One should try to decide where one wants to live, work and practice law after Law school. You must try and aim to attend a Law school in that same geographic area. The one closer to home is the better one.
- Placement: One of the features of a good law school is the effort the institution makes to help its students and graduates understand their career options and find satisfying employment. If recruitment has not happened yet, a law aspirant can take into account the possibility of recruitment. For instance, institute like MRU, already have a bunch of recruiters hiring engineers and managers from the campus, and is likely to have good recruitment for the law students too.
Faculty of Law